9.25.2008

PAUL SCHIEK


For some reason, it is very rare for me to be truely moved by black and white photographs. Once you take out Arbus and Avedon of course, all my favorite photographers shot/shoot in color. It is especially true for contemporary photography. But yesterday at Stephen Wirtz Gallery I fell in love with Paul Schiek prints and especially this one. The movement, the mystery, all the shades of grey, the texture and the amazing minimalism of that image impressed me. So simple and so sophisticated at the same time. After this, J. Meyerowitz underwater shots seemed tasteless and "easy"...

3 comments:

Margo said...

I agree about the meyerowitz underwater! I just kinda felt like, 'eh, ok.' Too much hype.

Agathe PHILBÉ said...

I KNOW !... I especially don't like this guy because on his website you can't see images -you can only BUY things... businessman.

donquijote said...

Agathe! marcus here. i just moved to blogspot myself! http://thecotone.blogspot.com

soiree de fou!