4.21.2009

PALAIS





I love that place. I like it for the weirdness of the space, the light getting in, the insane exhibits of contemporary art, the fantastic books/magazines store. Just like many people, I often find myself thinking "do I understand this?" while standing in front of a piece of contemporary art. And sometimes I do let myself think, "is there anything to understand?". But these questions are pointless, because what matters, I think, is the experience; feeling puzzled, or unconcerned, or upset ("I could have done that myself" -yes, but you did not) are experiences. And the (weird, special, unique) context matters. Contemporary art might sometimes "only" be a space for uniqueness and pointlessness, and so what? When I ask myself, would the world be better off without it? -the answer is obvious.

No comments: